Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

UR5e Gripper trigger

Hi there,

I am working with an UR5e robot, which has a gripper attached to the flange. I am able to connect and control the robot from RoboDK correctly, but I don't understand how to open/close the gripper. 
According to the UR5e documentation and the IO mapping on the robot pendant (IO section), there are two pins for the tool digital output: TO[0], tool_output[0] and TO[1], tool_output[1]. I am able to open/close the gripper by checking/unchecking the TO[0] box in the IO section of the pendant. 

So, I try to use the MANAGE I/O instruction in order to open the gripper, but nothing happens.

Is the IO name correct? Am I using the correct function?

I also tried to realize a python function to the trick, but I had no luck. 

I tried to edit the SetIO sample in the Macros library to at least open the gripper.

Thanks in advance for the help
Darren

PS: I am using an updated version of RoboDK (5.3.2).
Hello,

I kinda solve the problem: I used the instruction Manage I/O approach, but this time by inserting a line of code. I wrote "set_tool_digital_out( 0, True )" and then call it in the main program. That seems to work and the gripper is now opening and closing (set the DO to 1, obviously)!

One more question: when the UR5e executes the program I send, it disconnects from RoboDK. Can I keep the robot connected to the PC while the whole task execution?

Darren
Could you elaborate more on how you were able to set the IO? Im having a similar issue with my Denso and I have been having a hard time trying to figure it out.   To turn on an IO with the Denso Controller  its Set["IO#"] and to turn it off it is Reset["IO#"]

in the manage IO where did you post "set_tool_digital_out( 0, True )" Did you put this in the name or value selection? Could you post an image?

Best,
Austen DeGrenier 
He used the "Program call" instruction and selected "Inset code" in the dropdown menu.

Jeremy
Find useful information about RoboDK and its features by visiting our Online Documentation and by watching tutorials on our Youtube Channel

(12-06-2021, 10:30 PM)Jeremy Wrote: He used the "Program call" instruction and selected "Inset code" in the dropdown menu.

Jeremy

As @Jeremy said, I just selected the Insert code in the program menu and I wrote the command above, according to the script language documentation of the UR5e. 

Hope that helps. I still don't understand why the robot disconnects when I call these programs tho. 

Darren
I asked one of our dev to take a look at why the driver would disconnect even if the command is successfully executed.
Most likely a handshake issue.

Jeremy
Find useful information about RoboDK and its features by visiting our Online Documentation and by watching tutorials on our Youtube Channel

Hello,

I have had to merge parts from this forum and also the Motomanhse calling a program on the robot.  I have the same disconect issue.  I can run each command manually and go through my program and if I run the program by itself it will get through 5-30 lines and disconnect?  It stays connected but I notice the connection indicator blip to red.    I also get " Can not take robot arm!" and "Working... Can not move the robot" messages.  Trying to work on moving the file to the controller and see if that works.

Austen
First of all, you need to make sure you really need to use the robot driver.

The thing to understand is that the robot driver will prevent you from having fluid motion as a handshake is required at the end of each move between the controller and RoboDK.
The driver is useful is if positions need to be updated in real-time (ex: vision system), otherwise, you should stick to generating the robot program and loading it on the controller. That's a far superior method in most cases.

Jeremy

Hello, I also have a similar error. I have a Ur5e robot with a Schunk Co Act gripper.
I created a program with Robodk that worked when I connected it to the robot via IP. However, I tried to open and close the gripper with the help of IO instructions, which did not work. Could someone give me some tips ?

Many thanks in advance

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Do you see the digital outputs being changed on the robot controller? Can you provide us with a picture of the controller log?