Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Unknown file format in Linux (obj, blend, dae, etc)

Hi,

I am trying to import some 3D object in RoboDK under Linux. No matter what I try, I get "Unknown file format" errors. I have tried obj, blend, dae, and ply files. Other things I have tried.

1) These files all open fine in RoboDK under Windows.
2) These files all open fine using MeshLab under Linux.
3) I tried exporting as "sld" in windows and then importing in Linux. This captured object geometry but the image texture was lost. The texture is important because I am using these objects alongside a simulated camera.

Thanks!
Rick
The RoboDK version for Linux does not support as many formats as the RoboDK for Windows version.

One option is to open your files in the RoboDK Windows version, save them as an RDK file and you can then load them on any platform.

You can also use RoboDK for Web to load STEP or IGES files an save them as RDK files.
(08-29-2022, 09:55 AM)Albert Wrote: The RoboDK version for Linux does not support as many formats as the RoboDK for Windows version.

One option is to open your files in the RoboDK Windows version, save them as an RDK file and you can then load them on any platform.

You can also use RoboDK for Web to load STEP or IGES files an save them as RDK files.

Hi Albert,

Thank you for the reply. I tried the approach you suggested, but when I open up the RDK file back up in linux, the object does not load with any texture. I tried both saving as an RDK file and saving as an SLD file under Windows.

Interestingly, I noticed that closing and reopening the RDK station file in windows also causes the texture to get lost.

The 3D model file is originally an obj. The obj references the file charuco_large.mtl. The mtl file references the board_large.png file in one of the materials map_Kd fields.

I dont see any error message in the text logs when opening the station.
Code:
Statusbar:  "Loading: /home/rshanor/Downloads/charucoTargetStation.rdk"
Using temporary file name to load station:  "/tmp/RoboDK.lHeYpD"
Loading:  "/home/rshanor/Downloads/charucoTargetStation.rdk"
Version Station File 101
Statusbar:  "Loading finished."
Loading complete
Made some progress after poking around a bit more.

I followed your advice in another thread (https://robodk.com/forum/Thread-Rendering-a-3D-model) which allowed me to preserve texture when exporting.

I did try to export this as an SLD and reopen under linux, but this crashed RoboDK. I am doing all my station setup programatically over the API, so it would be nice to have a solution that just works with link.AddFile calls, but I can probably work around this for now

One more update. I exported a station under windows. It opens in Linux just fine. But when I try to add other items to that station (robot, sld) RoboDK just freezes loading the second item.
We just updated RoboDK this week to prevent this crash. Make sure to update RoboDK to the latest version and let us know if you still have issues. You may need to load/save the files again using the latest version.

If you have any more issues it would help if you can provide the files that cause problems.
Hi Albert,

I just tried to download robodk 5.5 for linux, but the about section still reports version 5.4.3. Or does the version only matter when I save files?

I can upload files if I continue to have issues.

Thanks!
Rick
You are right, the Ubuntu update was not published properly. We just fixed it:
https://robodk.com/download

Can you check if you still have any issues?
Hi Albert,

Thanks again for the help. I am able to make some more progress, I was able to save the station under windows and open it in Ubuntu.  

RoboDK is still crashing on me. Crash seems pretty consistent after being open for a minute or two. I tried to run under GDB, this is the only message I see.

Program terminated with signal SIGKILL, Killed.
The program no longer exists.

Station file attached.

I ended up making my textures a lot smaller and that seems to help everything a lot.

One other bug I am hitting here, I tried to follow the example for duplicating an item using Copy / Paste, but the image texture was not preserved.

object.Copy()
object_copy1 = RDK.Paste()
object_copy1.setName('My Object (copy 1)')
Copy-pasting objects with textures is not supported. We'll add support for this in the near future.

As a workaround, you can save your RoboDK station as an RDK file, manually rename it to RDKA and open it again on another project. Every time you add an RDKA file it will load the saved station inside the active station.

If you can provide the RDK file that was causing issues we can better investigate how we can prevent this crash from happening.
(09-03-2022, 06:06 PM)Albert Wrote: Copy-pasting objects with textures is not supported. We'll add support for this in the near future.

As a workaround, you can save your RoboDK station as an RDK file, manually rename it to RDKA and open it again on another project. Every time you add an RDKA file it will load the saved station inside the active station.

If you can provide the RDK file that was causing issues we can better investigate how we can prevent this crash from happening.

Thanks for the RDKA tip! I will try that out today.

I have attached the station file that crashes after ~30 seconds of moving the camera with my mouse.

Attached Files
.rdk   devStationBase.rdk (Size: 83.95 KB / Downloads: 154)