Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Using RoboDK for non contact NDT with UR10

Dear all.

I have a question on the applicability of RoboDK on our use case. We are doing research on Laserultrasonics, which is some kind of non contact ultrasound testing. Therefore we have an optical head meassurement head, which focusses a laser light onto a test sample with a certain standoff distance and beeing perpendicular to the surface. To get an image of the internal structure of the whole sample, we are moving the measurement head along the surface (scanning the surface). Actually we have 2 stages in x and y Regime which enables us to do this scanning on flat samples quite easy. Now, in a new research Project we would like to scan complicated automotive parts and structures and therefore use a UR10 Robot and RoboDK to control and program the paths.

So, is this similar to the sample program where a Robot is used for painting a surface? And if yes, how is the scanning grid defined?

Thanks in advance
Bernhard
Hi.

Actually I found exactly the application what I was looking for as an example in RoboDK, the painting example on:
https://robodk.com/examples#examples-painting
But here I have a question: How is the grid defined? Or does the grid need to be made by hand?
In the tutorial the grid is quite large and obviously made by hand:
https://robodk.com/doc/en/Getting-Started.html#Station
But in the youtube video the grid is very fine and seems to be generated in an automated way. Maybe is there a 3rd party software available for pathplaninng of a grid?  

Thanks for your answers
Bernhard
Hi Bernhard,

In the Getting started example, the grid is, and you are right on this point, generated by hand.

In the painting example, an automatic method was used.
Note that it implies the usage of our python API.

If you click on the blue folder in RoboDK, you will find our local library. You can look for the "Example API - Point-Manipulation" example. The two macros there are not exactly addressing your situation, but they should give you a good head start.

Same if you open the "Macros" folder in the local library. You will find a ton of Python macro example.

You can also take a look at our API online documentation by following this link :
https://robodk.com/doc/en/PythonAPI/intro.html

Have a good day.
Jeremy
Hi Jeremy.

Thanks for your answers and info. I will have a look on the Python examples.

Best regards
Bernhard
Dear Jeremy.

Thanks so much for your help and the tip on the Python examples. We need to change a little bit the programs, but they are perfect as a starting point. By the way, it was a little bit difficult to find the documentation on the RoboDK API, which in my opinion is the greatest benefit to be able to program new features.

Best regards
Bernhard
Hi Bernhard,

Happy to hear that you were able to go forward with your project.

We are aware that the API documentation is not easy to find. It's mostly because we built it not so long ago and we didn't find the best place to place it yet.
This is why I gave you the link in my last post.

Have a good day.
Jeremy
Jeremy,
I am also interested in the api utilization for path creation. Do you have the painting station example handy that you could share. It would help to see an example of the api implementation to work with. Thanks!