Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Weld path by curve follow project settings

I am a new user. RoboDK is great!

Using trial version, I have played with the Utilities -> Robot Machining Project or Curve Follow Project for welding path.

For a typical weld (lap or T joint) with mig welding process, the weld torch needs Work Angle and Push Angle along the path. It seems we can get the them by playing with Path to Tool offset and Tool orientation follow path, but would it be better to have have some settings to do it directly?

For Approach/Retract each curve, can it be done in the direction of welding torch TCP Z axis by selecting Type? 

Maybe there are already in RoboDK. Any helps or hints will be appreciated. Thanks.
Hi there,

Thanks for your comment.

We do not have those features yet. You are right that you can modify the angle of the tool using the Path to tool offset.
It's in our road map to improve the welding features, but I can't give you a time frame.
For the approach and retract you have a bunch of different types that can be added. Unfortunately, at the moment you need to do it manually if you want a certain angle (selecting the right type and entering the values), but I keep in mind your suggestion of simply following the same angle as define in the tool to path offset.

Have a great day.
Jeremy
Thanks for the reply.

For "Minimum tool orientation change" Option, Approach/Retract works fine. But, for "Tool orientation follow path" Option, Approach/Retract seems to still use "Minimum tool orientation change" Rule to cause any "Path to tool offset" settings ineffective (weld gun orientation along curve changes because of Approach) if X,Y,Z are tried for Approach/Retract.
Hi there,

Can you join your project or at lease some screen shot ?
That would help me better understand the situation you are experiencing.

Have a great day.
Jeremy
(08-26-2019, 04:04 PM)Jeremy Wrote: Hi there,

Can you join your project or at lease some screen shot ?
That would help me better understand the situation you are experiencing.

Have a great day.
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,
Please see attachments for demo's by using "Tool orientation follow path", which is good for moving weld gun along loop path with smooth robot wrist orientation.

Demo 1 is what I want, that is, weld gun approaches start point along the gun TCP Z direction. By tilting curve normals, I can achieve this.

Demo 2:
Path 1: no curve tilting; use path to tool offset for tool angles, but approaching normal.
Path 2: the same as Path 1, except use XYZ approach/Retract. You can see tool behavior changes along the path.
Path 3: the same approach as Path 2, except changing "path to tool offset" to get path 1 effects, but the way the tool approach is not far ideal.

Another questions:
1. How to specifiy a start point with a loop curve?
2. How to limit the number of robot move points along a curve path?

Thanks.

Attached Files
.zip   RoboDK demo 1.zip (Size: 24.68 MB / Downloads: 509)
.zip   RoboDK demo 2.zip (Size: 24.67 MB / Downloads: 487)
(08-23-2019, 04:15 PM).Jeremy Wrote: Hi there,

Thanks for your comment.

We do not have those features yet. You are right that you can modify the angle of the tool using the Path to tool offset.
It's in our road map to improve the welding features, but I can't give you a time frame.
For the approach and retract you have a bunch of different types that can be added. Unfortunately, at the moment you need to do it manually if you want a certain angle (selecting the right type and entering the values), but I keep in mind your suggestion of simply following the same angle as define in the tool to path offset.

Have a great day.
Jeremy
Jeramy,Is there any updates on the above reply mentioning improving the welding tools? I have brought a license to program my welding robots and I am finding it is not straight forward for basic welds
(08-23-2019, 04:15 PM)Jeremy Wrote: Hi there,

Thanks for your comment.

Have a great day.
Jeremy
Hi Jeremy,

Currently i am working on a project for painting application where robot paints a profile along a curved path using a paint brush. i need the robot to orient its tool perpendicular to the path rather than just following it , i am attaching screenshot of how the final product should look like.

To have the tool perpendicular to the surface, select the curve and the surface when importing the curve to RoboDK.