Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Custom Robot Import from SolidWorks - issues with assembly

I am having trouble importing a customized robot model into RoboDK. I have converted my SolidWorks assembly into both .step and .stl files for each individual link. 

Importing the .step and .stl links into RoboDK does not maintain the robot assembly and each link is imported into the same spot - center of base frame. 

I would like to have it so that the links are imported into RoboDK as they are assembled in the original SolidWorks Assembly. I have attached screenshots of what the SolidWorks assembly looks like and what the RoboDK import looks like.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

You should select to export your part from your assembly in SolidWorks, not each part individually.
If it still doesn't work, can you send us the SolidWorks files to reproduce this?
(09-19-2019, 12:35 PM)Albert Wrote: You should select to export your part from your assembly in SolidWorks, not each part individually.
If it still doesn't work, can you send us the SolidWorks files to reproduce this?

Hi Albert,

Thank you for your response. I tried exporting the assembly but it makes it so that I cannot configure the separate parts as joints in RoboDK - it is imported as one solid piece. I need to configure rotation about the z (shoulder joint) and x axes.

I have attached the SolidWorks model below

Attached Files
.zip   Stick-Model.zip (Size: 319.8 KB / Downloads: 445)
You won't be able to export a mechanism from SolidWorks. Instead, you should build a mechanism in RoboDK as shown in this document:
https://robodk.com/doc/en/General.html#ModelRobot

Another option would be to always export your toolpaths from your Assembly in SolidWorks. You'll then see your part being udpated every time you change your path.

Another option would be to setup different coordinate systems that represent your assembly/mechanism.