Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How to model rotational axis + linear axis

Hello,

the mechanism wizard offers 1 linear axis + 1 rotational axis. 
However, I would like to model it the other way: 1 rotational axis + 1 linear axis. The robot is mounted on the linear axis. How can I model it?

Maybe it's possible to stack two single mechanisms into each other. But how to program then both axes? The program dialog offers only one field for value input besides the robot joints.

Best,
Mike
Hi Mike, what robot are you trying to model?
Aren't you looking for synchronized axes?
https://robodk.com/doc/en/General.html#SyncAxes
Please read the Forum Guidelines before posting!
Find useful information about RoboDK by visiting our Online Documentation.
Thanks for the hint. Synchronized Axes could work.

What I like to do:
- Add a rotative axis
- Add a linear axis mounted on the rotative one
- Add a 6dof robot to the slider of the linear axis

Result:
- 8 dofs in total
- Robot can be rotated and linear aligned to a working position
I understand you were able to make it work?
The problem about Utilities➔Synchronize External Axes is that I can either synchronize with my linear axis or with the rotational axis.
Only the selected external axis appears in the Robot Joints Panel for programming my process.

But on the other hand, I can jog both joints without problems in the mechanism panel. However, programming is not possible because one axis is missing.

To be honest, I don't need synchronization between the axes. I will first move my linear axis, then I rotate, and subsequently I move the robot. The follow up question will be, how to distinguish between a robot or an axis movement in the postprocessor.

I have attached a small robodk example of my setup.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.rdk   rot_test_ur5.rdk (Size: 2.16 MB / Downloads: 150)
Push....any comment on this topic @Mods? :)
You can synchronise up to 2 axes but only one axis that holds the robot.

You should create the rotary and linear mechanism as one mechanism to be able to synchronise it as one unit.
Can you look into my example, please?
The axes do not have to be synchronized. You came up with this proposition, I tried it. But it's not what I'm looking for.

I just like to use 2 independent axes, like in the example where the robot is mounted on gantry mechanism. However, the first axis is a rot axis. Whereas, in your synchronization example the first axis is a linear one, Albert. That makes a difference here.
In this case you can still use your setup without having to synchronize the robot with your axes.

You simply need to move the axes independently from the robot.