Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

MoveC with NCI code

Hi RoboDK Team,

I want to generate a machining program on RoboDK from an NCI code.
The issue I'm facing is that my NCI file contains circular motions, but in the generated program, I have linear motions.
How should I proceed to have circular motions in my program?

Small circular movements may be converted to linear movements automatically.

Can you send us the NCI file and the RDK project? We can better take a look.
Hi Albert,
I have attached the NCI file and the RDK project.

Thank you

Attached Files
.rdk   MOVEC.rdk (Size: 3.23 MB / Downloads: 114)
.zip   29.zip (Size: 2.41 KB / Downloads: 83)
By taking a closer look at your NCI file and project I see that the movements you are referring to are spiral movements. These are not perfectly circular movements and this is why RoboDK splits them into smaller linear movements.

Spiral movements are not supported by most robot controllers (non I can think of). On the other hand, circular movements are supported by most robot controllers and also supported by RoboDK.
(10-27-2023, 11:12 AM)Albert Wrote: By taking a closer look at your NCI file and project I see that the movements you are referring to are spiral movements. These are not perfectly circular movements and this is why RoboDK splits them into smaller linear movements.

Spiral movements are not supported by most robot controllers (non I can think of). On the other hand, circular movements are supported by most robot controllers and also supported by RoboDK.

With a significant number of linear movements, the robot cannot keep up with the cycle time. 
Do you have a solution for this?
In this case you can increase the Rounding radius to have smooth transition through small linear movements.

You can also skip points that are too close to each other by following these steps:
  1. Select Tools-Options
  2. Select the Program tab
  3. Increase the Minimum step size (mm) for linear movements, for example to 1 mm or more.
You can find more settings related to program generation here:
https://robodk.com/doc/en/Options-Menu.html#OptProgram
I increased the Minimum Step Size (mm) to 1 mm. The number of points is reduced, but I'm losing the quality of my trajectory. Do you have any other solution?"

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

You should find a compromise between accuracy and speed by fine tuning the step tolerance.
Even with 1 mm, I am still far from the required cycle time. I absolutely need to have circular movements instead of linear movements.
Spiral movements are not the same as circular movements, this is why the arc is split into small linear movements.

I would recommend you to change the drill cycle instead.