Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Remote control of UR10e over internet

Hey

I would like to hear if you have any experiences on using RoboDK to online/offline programming of UR robots over internet.

Some remote desktop application should be simple (?), but if there is other ideas, it would be interesting to hear of.

We have a project in University with UR10e. We would like to build remote control access to this cell. Preferable features for the project we are aiming:
-User management 
-Connection and control over UR Polyscope interface
-File management of UR
-Connection with RoboDK, preferably software on remote PC
-Webcam streaming

Lately I've been looking into IXON cloud for UR, which would apparently offer the control over Polyscope and user management, but still researching if it could be used for additional connections (RoboDK, Webcam) too.

I would appreciate your experiences! Thanks
Hi,

As there isn't just one answer, I ask our team what they thought.

In theory, a robot can be moved remotely, you simply need to properly establish the network, FTP protocol and plain Socket should work.
But ensuring a secured communication in such a case might be hard to achieve. In a closed network, that's not an issue, but in an opened one...

Remote desktop is what I would go for, I think it's easier and more secure.

Jeremy
Find useful information about RoboDK and its features by visiting our Online Documentation and by watching tutorials on our Youtube Channel

(06-11-2021, 11:07 AM)Jeremy Wrote: Hi,

As there isn't just one answer, I ask our team what they thought.

In theory, a robot can be moved remotely, you simply need to properly establish the network, FTP protocol and plain Socket should work.
But ensuring a secured communication in such a case might be hard to achieve. In a closed network, that's not an issue, but in an opened one...

Remote desktop is what I would go for, I think it's easier and more secure.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy and late thanks for your reply!

We've proceeded into test phase in this project and we are currently testing commercial router from Ixon.

Communication is now established via VPN and it is working quite well. 

We are facing similar issues with UR as in this thread:
https://robodk.com/forum/Thread-Connect-to-UR5?page=5

So we can ping, ftp, send programs to robot and retrieve position by using "UR active monitoring"-macro. But we are not able to create direct connection like "move joints" and "get position" or following movement on real-time with "UR active monitoring".

Error on the log:
"Not able to open socket socket_0 to host: 192.168.142.1 at port 3000 : Connection timed out"

Do you have any experiences with RoboDK over VPN and do you think it is possible?
Do you have any tips that I should look into with VPN or RoboDK configurations?
With straight connection from PC to robot with ethernet cable it works fine. I've also tried turning off firewalls.

It would be nice feature to have students equipped with RoboDKs to connect to robot remotely via its API etc!

In addition do you have other use case examples of RoboDK API like this?
https://robodk.com/blog/additive-manufac...-workflow/

I remember reading about RoboDK communicating with PLC's. It would be interesting to hear more about this kind of use cases.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)