Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

VSCode renaming scripts & others

Hi,

I have started using RoboDK two days ago, interesting and handy. 

Remarks:

1- While using VSCode as a python editor, opening a script may cause a renaming of the script. Script Move.py for example will be renamed to Move_1.py if the editor is closed and reopened. Move_2.py the second time etc. This may become an issue when the played script (via RoboDK buttons) and the modified script are no longer the same.

2- I didn't find an out-of-the-shelve and simple way to stop and reset the whole simulation in once.

3- Once an item is moved in the scene from pose A to pose B, the Undo action moves back the item from pose B to pose A gradually. Maybe this is a wanted feature, but i think it is not that handy, that's subjective :).

4- In the Python API side, we can load an item by name using RDK.item(name,...). If the specified name is not found, RDK links an other item with a close name to the one provided or links the first item if a random name is provided. I think this is error prune for development and showing an error of unfound item may be more handy, less sophisticated but more handy :). That's also a subjective point of vue.

5- Stop and resume button do not stop conveyors, but this is a known issue i think.

Thanks!
Hi,

Thank you for your feedback, we are always looking for ways to improve RoboDK.

1- This is normal. RoboDK hosts your Python script within the station, and when you open it for edits, it actually creates a python script in the %TEMP% folder with a unique number on it. Once your are done editing, the file is deleted and saved back into the station.

2- We typically create a Program that resets the robots, conveyors, and objects to a desired pose. You can also script that by recording all the items positions into a JSON for instance and save it as a parameter into your station.

4- I do not disagree with your statement. You can create a function to make sure it does exist.
Code:
def getItemName(RDK, name, type):
item = RDK.Item(name, type)
if not item.Valid() or item.Name() != name:
raise Exception("Item not found")

5- Currently, conveyors are Python scripts that are not necessarily "ticked" by the simulation. The new conveyors scripts should sync with the simulation using these commands:
Code:
float(RDK.Command("SimulationTime"))
float(RDK.Command("TrajectoryTime"))
Please read the Forum Guidelines before posting!
Find useful information about RoboDK by visiting our Online Documentation.
Hi,

Thank you for your answers. I took note of them.

MZ