Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Constrain Joint Limit

This feature is not clear in both the documentation and the user interface.  From the robot control panel, when I double click on the angle values at either end of the jog sliders, a window pops up with 7 different angle values (on a 6 axis robot).  There is nothing  showing what each of these values represents.  When changing the base joint there is a different window with a horizontal row of values that correlate to the robot in a more predictable way, but for the other joints there is a 2x7 grid along with a graph and nothing makes any sense.  Even on the base joint pop-up only the first box appears to control the limit, I have no idea what the other five values do. A grid that shows the min and max angles for each joint where you could change these values would make a lot more sense, but this doesn't seem to be the way it works.
The joint limits should be 6 for each axis for a 6-axis robot. However, the joint senses field in the Parameters section has an extra index (7th element), which represents the coupling between axes 2 and 3 (you can set it to 0 to remove the coupling).

Some robots have axes 2 and 3 coupled. So when you double click on a the joint limits of axes 2 or 3 you'll see the interaction workspace allowed for the combination of joints 2 and 3. You can find more information here:
https://robodk.com/blog/robot-axis-coupling/

What robot are you using? We can better understand what you mean.
The robot is a Fanuc M-20iD/25 and joints 2 and 3 do appear to be coupled. I'm trying to set the limits on joint 2 to keep the elbow from getting inverted on default configurations. I'm hoping this will greatly reduce the need to re-teach targets, since the inverted elbow configuration is the primary cause of bad configurations. I just want to set the limits on joint 2 to be between -40 and 40 degrees, but can't figure out how to do that.

Great article, thanks for the link! I had not seen this blog before.
You can find more information on how to edit the coupled joints of a robot in our documentation:
https://robodk.com/doc/en/General.html#CoupledJoints
Please read the Forum Guidelines before posting!
Find useful information about RoboDK by visiting our Online Documentation.