Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Setting robot start point on a milling project

To properly define your base frame we need to locate 3 corners of your table. This will help aligning the robot base and then the robot movements will make more sense when you generate programs.

The robot is installed at an angle facing forward (it looks like 15-30 degrees). This is not negligible and it will have an important impact when defining your coordinate system.

I recommend you to follow these steps:
https://robodk.com/doc/en/General.html#CalibrateFrame

In short, we need the 3 positions of 3 corners of your table (joint values A1-A6 is best). We also need the XYZ values of your TCP.

With the new coordinate system, we can calculate the exact angle of the robot base and place the table coordinate systems with respect to the robot base.
Hi Albert,

I made a mistake by not providing the coordinates if A1-6. Is ABCXYZ okay?

Otherwise I will see if I can get the rest of the information.

Thanks Albert!

Attached Files
.zip   HGH COODINATES.zip (Size: 5.24 MB / Downloads: 128)
It is not straightforward to work with this data.

I assume your TCP is (the XYZ values are the most important but we should also get ABC values correct to validate the rest):
TCP XYZABC = [    41.419,     1.171,   632.596,     0,    30,     0 ]
Can you confirm if it makes sense in the simulator? It seems quite far from the 3D model.

It looks like you moved the robot to the following joint values (which I assume they correspond to a corner of the table):
J1-J6 = [60.800000, -104.490000, 129.250000, 19.040000, 29.490000, -2.410000] deg

And according to RoboDK, the position of the TCP with respect to the base is:
[   657.044, -1473.068,   558.225,   126.753,     4.895,  -164.084 ]

As shown in the following image.

However, you shared an image that seems to show different coordinates. RoboDK and the teach pendant should show the same XYZABC for the same Joint values. Make sure you properly select the tool and the base system on both.

What is BASE E1? This is probably related to a coordinate system attached to a turntable or an unknown base configuration.

Also, we need 3 corners of the table to properly place coordinate system of your table.

Attached Files
.rdk   KUKA KR120-v3.rdk (Size: 1.03 MB / Downloads: 154)
Understood, I will do this again tomorrow. I have also modelled our table and now have attached an accurate model of my spindle down to the mm. Base E1 is the base I setup today. I will do my best to give you ALL of the information I can as well as a new cell model. I will make sure you have more information to work with.

Thank you so kindly for being patient with me, I know you are a very busy man. For anyone reading this thread, please understand this has NOTHING to do with the ability of RoboDK, this is a new programmer having growing pains. Learning takes work and you cannot expect everyone to do all the work you. RoboDK has really backed up their users!

Thank you so much again Albert,

I will make sure you have the information tomorrow.

Mike Rhodes
I have figured this part out myself Albert.

Thank you so much for the support.

Mike